I love bread pudding. My mom makes the best bread pudding and I love it warm with evaporated milk or even ice cream. This pie is doubly delicious. It tastes great as a bread pudding and the texture of a pie with the flaky pie crust. It would definitely be delicious with ice cream and caramel sauce. I used a 9-inch stainless steel pie pan, which is one of my favorites. Kitchen Kneads has this pan and it is a must in the kitchen. This pie is another pie with bare-bones ingredients. Pies with bare-bones ingredients are turning into some of my favorites, which can be made on a day where you want some quality home hygge time to be together with family and friends and not have to run to the store for ingredients. This is a fast and easy pie. We could also call this a food storage pie.
The trick to making this pie absolutely delicious is to use whole nutmeg and to fresh grind for the top of the pie. Also, make sure to cool completely to let it set up as pie.
Bread Pudding Pie
- Pastry for single 9-inch pie crust
- 1 cup cubed bread
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Arrange the cubed bread in a pastry -lined pie pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, sugar, and vanilla. Pour over bread. Sprinkle with fresh nutmeg and dot with butter. Bake 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 350 degrees F. Bake an additional 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cover edges with pie shield for the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning if necessary.
- Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
Sources: Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
Leave a Reply