I love crumb cake and I love donuts, so why not combine the two?
Remember our delicious baked Strawberry Donuts? They were so good and I had so much fun making my own baked donuts, I’ve made different kinds of donuts over the past while,but these crumb donuts were delicious enough that I have to share them with you.
So grab yourself a donut pan and make a batch of these today.
For the Crumb Topping:
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
For the Donuts:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 egg whites
- 6 T butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 T milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- First, make the crumb topping. In a small bowl, combine the cubed butter, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Mash the butter into the dry ingredients with a fork. Make sure the butter is well incorporated with no patches of flour. Pour the mixture out on a small baking sheet lined with foil. Set aside.
- Next, make the donuts: In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, stir together the milk, egg white, butter and vanilla. Stir the mixture continuously over medium-low heat until the butter dissolves completely.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry (but don’t over-mix).
- Divide the batter between the 6 spaces in the donut pan and bake for 8-9 minutes. Add the pan of crumbs to the oven at the same time. Keep an eye on the crumbs–the mixture will spread out like one giant cookie. Make sure it doesn’t get too dark brown. When the donuts are done, the surface of the donuts will spring back when pressed gently.
- Let the donuts cool in the pan 5 minutes before removing them. Meanwhile, scrape the crumb mixture with a fork to create crumbs. Pour the crumbs into a shallow bowl or plate.
- Whisk together the glaze ingredients in a shallow bowl. To serve the donuts, dip each top into the glaze, then the crumb mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 6-donut pan very well with cooking spray.
*Recipe from Dessert For Two
Leave a Reply