Venison, which usually refers to deer meat, is low in calories, lean, and nutrient-rich. Packed with vitamin B12, phosphorus, and iron, this meat will provide all the great unseen extras to your dishes. It’s also low in fat and cholesterol.
Normally, because of how lean it is, this meat has a tendency to cook very fast and dry out. Kitchen Kneads recommends lowering the temperature when cooking on the stove. One of the best ways to cook venison is to grill it! Don’t forget to use oil, the lean meat has a tendency to stick.
Venison normally has a deeper flavor, the meat absorbs and distributes very well needing fewer seasonings and less marinade time. Utilizing an oil-based marinade can help avoid drying the meat out too much when cooking. Venison is great for steaks, burgers, ground up, and added to any dish you would normally use beef.
Because of the lower fat content, the venison is a little tougher in texture, especially after cooking. We came about and tweaked to perfection this amazing chili recipe. When slow-cooked in chili juices version comes out savory and tender. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Yield: 6-8 SERVINGS prep time: 10 MINUTES cook time: 45 MINUTES total time: 55 MINUTES
Venison Chili – This is the best venison chili recipe! Made with classic chili ingredients slow cooked to perfection.
- Slow Cooker
- 2 pounds ground venison
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can dark red kidney beans
- 1 15 ounce can light red kidney beans
- 1 can Corn
- 1 Large Bell Pepper
- Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Green Onions (sliced)
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS
- In a medium pan, saute ground venison, onion, and garlic in olive oil over medium-high heat until the venison has browned.
- Transfer browned meat, onions, and garlic into a 6-quart slow cooker. Add in remaining ingredients and set slow cooker to HIGH for 2-3 hours or LOW for 4-6 hours.
Serve topped with green onions and cheddar cheese (optional)
We are always adding something new and fun. Check out our other recipes, tips, and tricks on our blog page. You’re sure to find your new favorite recipe that you can’t stop making. We’d love to hear how your recipes come out!