Hot Buttered Rum (Without Alcohol)Dawn Mikesell
Hot Buttered Rum is something I’ve always thought sounded good. I love the non-fruity, non-chocolatey flavors like rum, carmel, butter pecan, hazelnut…I don’t know how to categorize that type of flavor, but they’re my favorite. I don’t drink alcohol, so when I get rum flavored things the flavor comes by way of extracts and flavoring oils.
While I can’t compare my non-alcoholic version of hot buttered rum to the real thing, I think it’s pretty darn good. If you’re looking for something kid friendly or if you’re like me and you don’t drink, this recipe’s a good one. It’s a nice change from all the hot cocoa and spiced ciders that are typical this time of year.
So… what DID I use to get the rum flavor? It’s not extract, although that’s what I originally was going to use. But I was talking to my mom about it and she suggested using Torani syrup. I LOVE Torani syrups! I use them for so many things. How could I have not thought to use one? They have a butter rum flavor, so that’s what I used. I know it’s not straight rum flavor, but it’s what they have and I really think it turned out super good.
Also, if you’re local, stop into our store and look at our Torani syrups. We have the largest selection around. And they’re seriously good in so many things. Here’s a few links to some of my other posts I’ve used these syrups in:
Non-Alcoholic Hot Buttered Rum
For the Butter:
- 1/2 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
For the Drinks:
- 2 tablespoons butter mixture
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons Torani Butter Rum Syrup
- 1 cup boiling water
- In a medium bowl, cream butter, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Combine thoroughly.
- To make the drink, place 2 tablespoons butter mixture in an 8- 10 ounce mug.
- Add heavy cream and Torani Butter Rum syrup.
- Fill mug with boiling water. Stir to melt butter.
Note: If you don’t want to use up all of the butter mixture at once, you can roll it into a log in some plastic wrap and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to use it.