10 Essential Oils Every Family Needs
Here at Kitchen Kneads, we are advocates of natural health and healing. We use herbs and essential oils all the time. Why not just go to the doctor? We find security in taking our health into our own hands, being able to care for illness and injury ourselves, thus avoiding high healthcare costs. (Of course, there are some things that warrant a doctor’s attention.) We also like the fact that they are safer and have no side effects.
Every home needs 10 basic essential oils. You can buy them all together in one convenient family physician kit by clicking here. (You’ll need to scroll down the page a little to find it.) We also have them in stock in our store.
1. Lavender – It is a universal oil that has been known to balance the body and work wherever it is needed. It can soothe burns and insect bites. It works well as a sleep aid. When applied to the gums it can relieve discomfort in teething babies.
2. Lemon – Put a drop of lemon in your water every day to help alkalize your body. The better your acid/alkaline balance, the easier it is for your body to fight illness. It works as a powerful household cleaner and degreaser. When diffused aromatically it promotes healing and physical energy.
3. Peppermint – Rub on the forehead and down the spine to help relieve fever. Put a couple drops on your feet in the summer to keep them cool. The aroma of peppermint has been found to enhance memory and increase alertness.
4. Melaleuca (Tea Tree) – It is antibacterial, antifungal, antiparasitic, antiseptic, and antiviral. Apply to feet to get rid of athlete’s foot. Use it to get rid of mold and mildew. Being antibacterial it works great for acne, since most acne medications are antibacterial creams.
5. Deep Blue – This is a blend containing wintergreen, camphor, peppermint, blue tansy, blue chamomile, helichrysum, and osmanthus. Deep Blue will soothe inflammation, alleviate pain, and reduce soreness. Apply on location for muscles, cramps, bruises, or any place that hurts.
6. Oregano – Oregano is antiparasitic. Put a few drops in a capsule and swallow to eliminate intestinal worms. Put five to seven drops in shampoo or conditioner to treat dandruff. If used externally, ALWAYS dilute it because it will burn your skin.
7. On Guard – This is a protective blend of wild orange, clove, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus, and rosemary. Diffuse it throughout your house when sickness abounds to kill off germs in the air or diffuse as a protective measure during cold and flu season. Dilute with water and use as a kitchen and bathroom cleaner.
8. Breathe – Breathe is another blend containing laurel leaf, peppermint, eucalyptus, melaleuca, lemon, and ravensara. It is excellent for opening up the respiratory system. Diffuse to combat coughs, congestion, asthma, and snoring.
9. DigestZen – This blend of ginger, peppermint, tarragon, fennel, caraway, coriander, and anise may be useful for improving the digestive system. Rub four drops on the stomach to soothe acid reflux, diarrhea, constipation, IBS, etc. May be applied to animal paws for parasites.
10. Frankincense – Like lavender, frankincense is a smart oil, working where it needs to. It can be applied to cuts to speed healing and reduce scaring. Studies show that it can kill cancerous cells. It can be used for anything. When in doubt, use frankincense.
There you have it. 10 essential oils to help you get started being your family’s physician.
*The information contained in this post is for informational purposes only, and should not be a substitute for medical advice or treatment. We recommend that you consult with your doctor or health care professional for the proper diagnosis and treatment.