Chocolate Cream Pie…I can’t think of anything more delicious. But again, I love chocolate and especially dark chocolate. When you think of chocolate cream pie you may think, “I will just mix up a box of pudding and pour it into a pie shell.” I will admit, I USED to do that. This pie will convert you to the SCRATCH side of baking. The flavor is delicious and it’s so easy to make. This chocolate filling is cooked on the stove while the crust is baked. Then the filling is poured into the baked pie shell, cooled, then refrigerated. I love fruit paired with chocolate. Raspberries and strawberries are two of my favorites. The pies that we have been blogging have for the most part been bare bones ingredients. I love this since we are spending so much time at home and have time to prepare delicious desserts for family meals.
Pie Hint: Since this pie shell is pre-baked for the filling, my hint to you is to pie beads. You can use a pie bead necklace or beans baked with the shell. This will eliminate bubbles in the bottom of the crust that can form while baking. I also used a whisk and potato masher to blend my dry ingredients for the filling. You could also sift. You want to make sure the ingredients are free from any lumps before cooking.
Chocolate Cream Pie
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa of your choice (I used dark)
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pastry shell, baked (I made a regular pie shell, not a deep dish)
- Bake a pie shell according to package or the recipe. Place pie beads, necklace, or dry beans to prevent bubbling. Place the pie shell on a cookie sheet.
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 6 ingredients. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk 1 cup hot mixture into the 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Return all to the pan; bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Cool slightly.
- Pour want filling into crust.
- Cool for 1 hour.
- Chill in the refrigerator until set.
- If desired, top with whipped cream, fruit, and chocolate curls or cocoa. Enjoy!!
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
Leave a Reply