Coconut Lime Cupcakes
Nothing is more refreshing than the flavors of lime and coconut. Here it is in cupcake form and it couldn’t be more yummy.
In this recipe we use coconut bakery emulsion. Emulsions are what bakeries use. They have a stronger flavor and they’re not alcohol based like extracts. This means that the flavor doesn’t evaporate out when the alcohol does and more flavor remains in your baked goods.
We’ve also used a coconut cream pudding and pie filling mix that we sell in our store to make a delicious, yet quick to prepare filling.
Coconut Lime Cupcakes
1 1/3 cups flour*
1 tsp baking powder*
1/2 tsp baking soda*
1/2 tsp salt*
3/4 cup sugar*
1/2 cup oil*
5 drops lime essential oil (optional)*
zest from 1 lime
4 T lime juice (about 2 limes)
1/2 tsp coconut emulsion*
3/4 cup coconut milk (from a can)*
1/2 cup coconut cream pudding and pie filling mix*
1 cup milk
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 tsp coconut emulsion*
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar*
*These items can be found in our store.
- Prepare filling. Combine coconut cream pudding and pie filling mix and milk. Whisk together for 2 minutes. Place in fridge and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners; set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat eggs and sugar. Add oil, lime essential oil (optional), lime zest, lime juice, coconut emulsion, and coconut milk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Make frosting by beating together the cream cheese and butter in a stand mixer. Add coconut emulsion and powdered sugar. Mix until just combined.
- Using a cupcake corer, hollow out the center of each cupcake. Cut a small piece of the corner of a zip top bag. Spoon filling into bag and squeeze filling into each cupcake cavity.
- With a piping bag fitted with a 1M or 2D tip, pipe frosting on top of each cupcake. Alternately, you can spread the frosting onto each cupcake using a knife or spoon.
- Place a lime wedge into each cupcake and sprinkle with toasted coconut.