Easy 100% Whole Wheat Bread in 90 Minutes
Shape your loaves and place them in your bread pans. After your loaves are shaped all pretty in the pans, brush the tops with melted butter or spray with butter flavored cooking spray. This little extra step keeps the tops from drying out while rising and makes a super soft crust.
Turn your oven on for 1 minute, then turn it off. Put your bread in there to rise for 10-15 minutes or until the dough reaches the top of the pan. Then turn your oven on to 350 degrees without taking the bread out and set your timer for 35 minutes. While the oven is pre-heating, the bread will finish rising and then automatically begin to bake.
After 35 minutes, take your bread out of the oven, get it out of the pans, and place it to cool on a cooling rack. Again, brush the tops with melted butter or spray with butter flavored cooking spray. It makes the crust super super soft and gives a delicious buttery flavor.
Cut a slice while it’s still hot and spread some butter on it. Enjoy!
Oven: 350 F Prep: 15 minutes Rise: 30 minutes
Bake: 35 minutes Cool: 1 hour Makes: 5-6 loaves
6 cups warm water
1 cup honey
¼ cup liquid lecithin or oil
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons dough enhancer
2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
16-18 cups freshly ground whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons SAF instant yeast
Butter for brushing on tops
1. Pour water in bowl of bread mixer. Add honey, lecithin, salt, dough enhancer, and vital wheat gluten.
2. Add 10 cups of flour, then add the yeast.
3. Turn the mixer on to speed 2 and let all the ingredients combine. Add more flour until you see the curve of
the bowl. The dough should still be quite sticky. If not, add more water. This will keep your bread from
being dry and heavy.
4. (At this point, the water hasn’t had time to fully absorb the flour. When the flour is fully absorbed, the
dough will become less sticky. This is what you want to happen. If you’re not sure about the consistency of
the dough, pinch it between your fingers. If you feel the pressure of your fingers, add more flour. If it is not
sticky, add water.)
5. Knead dough for 8 minutes to develop the gluten.
6. Shape the dough into loaves and place in bread pans.
7. Let rise until the dough reaches about 1 inch above the tops of the pans (about 30 minutes). Preheat oven to
350 F at this time.
8. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom.
9. Immediately remove from pans and place on cooling rack. Brush tops with melted butter and allow to cool
completely before slicing.