Easy Refrigerator Zucchini Pickleskitchenkneads
I love pickles. Loved them as a kid and still love them as a grandma. This is another great way to use zucchini from the garden. It’s amazing how fast zucchini grows. I am okay with this since there are so many zucchini recipes to try all year but especially during the summer. One evening, I was out walking my dogs and stopped by a dear friend’s house. She had me not only try her fresh pickles but gave me a jar. WOW, I couldn’t believe they were zucchini pickles. To make the pickles even better, they were refrigerator pickles and only had to be in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours. I hate to admit, but I ate the whole jar in one sitting.
I knew I had to share this with my daughter and grandkids since we all love pickles. We made the experience a grandma camp day and what fun we had. The kids were able to help put the zucchini and fresh dill in the jars and help put the spices and liquids in a small pot prior to bringing the mixture to a boil. Little Macie even took a jar home to surprise mommy, the greatest pickle fan of all.
Easy Refrigerator Zucchini Pickles
- 5 medium zucchini, sliced or cut into rounds, whichever you prefer
- 8 sprigs fresh dill
- 1 ½ cups white vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt (I use Redmond kosher salt)
- 2 teaspoons whole mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- Divide the sliced zucchini and the fresh dill evenly between 4 pint-size wide mouth mason jars.
- Add vinegar, water, garlic, salt, mustard seeds, peppercorns, and dill seed to a small pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Once the mixture reaches a boil remove it from the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes before pouring it into each jar. Make sure you get an even distribution of spices in each jar.
- Let the mixture cool completely before screwing the lid on and placing the jars in the refrigerator.
- Let sit for 24-48 hours before eating.
Recipe adapted from Homemadeinterest.com