As the month of Pievember is coming to a close, I wanted to share 2 additional posts. One pie that is my favorite and the other of tips and tricks I have learned throughout this month of pie baking.
My favorite pie is an old-fashioned apple pie. I like it served hot with ice cream or a melted piece of cheese. I have made apple pies with and without nuts. I sometimes add another fruit to pair the flavors; strawberries, rhubarb, cranberries, pears, or even raspberries. I’ve baked this pie with a top crust as well as a crumb topping. I have even baked it in a brown paper sack for extra steam and variety. The part I like about this pie best is that it’s good any time of the year, indoors or outside, and is the perfect dessert for any meal or a treat when friends or family stop by. This pie is good with hot chocolate, lemonade, or a hot cup of tea. An apple pie is one of my husband’s favorites and he prefers it instead of cake on his birthday. Enjoy and treat your family to a good ‘ol American Apple Pie!!
Lumberjack Apple Pie
- Prepared crust for a 9-inch pie. You can also have a second crust for the top crust or make a crumb topping.
- 4 cups of apples, (I like juicy and tart mixed for a great flavor) peeled and sliced thin
- ½ cup second fruit (strawberries, rhubarb, cranberries, pears, raspberries, etc.)
- ¼ cup nuts of choice (I like pecans or walnuts)
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Blind bake the prepared pie shell for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes. Raise the temperature to 375 degrees F.
- In a bowl combine and toss all of the remaining ingredients except the butter.
- Spoon into cooled pie shell.
- Press down firmly on apple mixture in pie shell.
- Cover the pie with either a top crust or a crumb topping of choice.
- Slide pie into a paper bag and fold the edges closed on one end.
- Place the paper bag on a cookie sheet and bake for 45-5o minutes or until the crust is golden.
- Remove and let rest for 30-45 minutes. Enjoy warm, room temperature, or chilled.