Meringue cookies are, in my opinion, a perfect treat for Valentine’s Day. They’re light and airy, crunchy and sweet, and a perfect change from the chocolatey-ness of the usual Valentine’s treats.
These cookies are nice and fancy too, without being difficult or time-consuming to make. (Hands-on time anyway. They do take about 3 hours in the oven, but you can whip them up in about 10 minutes.) Everyone will love these classic meringue cookies, so I hope you make some for your valentines this year.
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Red food coloring (optional)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until frothy (about 30 seconds).
- Add cream of tartar.
- Beat until egg whites resemble shaving cream (about 90 seconds).
- Very slowly, add sugar, while beating. Add one drop of red food coloring and mix to combine.
- Attach a 1M icing tip to a piping bag and draw a heart outline on your lined baking sheet, then fill each one in.
- Bake for 2 hours, then turn off the oven and allow the meringues to sit in the oven for at least one more hour. This will make them fully dry and crispy.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!